Will Python 3.0 remove the global interpreter lock (GIL)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 18:41:51 EDT 2007

On 19 Sep, 03:09, TheFlyingDutchman <zzbba... at aol.com> wrote:

> How much faster/slower would Greg Stein's code be on today's
> processors versus CPython running on the processors of the late
> 1990's? And if you decide to answer, please add a true/false response
> to this statement - "CPython in the late 1990's ran too slow".

Too slow for what? And what's the fixation with CPython, anyway? Other
implementations of Python 2.x don't have the GIL. Contrary to popular
folklore, Jython has been quite a reasonable implementation of Python
for about half as long as CPython has been around, if you don't mind
the JVM. I'm sure people have lots of complaints about Jython like
they do about CPython and the GIL, thinking that complaining about it
is going to make the situation better, or that they're imparting some
kind of "wisdom" to which the people who actually wrote the code must
be oblivious, but nobody is withholding the code from anyone who wants
to actually improve it.

And there we learn something: that plenty of people are willing to
prod others into providing them with something that will make their
lives better, their jobs easier, and their profits greater, but not so
many are interested in contributing back to the cause and taking on
very much of the work themselves. Anyway, the response to your
statement is "false". Now you'll have to provide us with the insight
we're all missing. Don't disappoint!

Paul