Program inefficiency?

hall.jeff at gmail.com hall.jeff at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:46:18 EDT 2007

XP is the OS... the files are split across a ton of subdirectories
already...

I'm actually starting to think there's a problem with certain files,
however...

We create help files for clients using RoboHelp... RoboHelp has Source
HTML and then "webhelp" html which is what actually goes to the
client... I'm trying to mass maintenance the "source" files... Right
now, my program works but you've got to delete the webhelp files
first... I figured that (based on the exponential growth in processing
time) it was the additional number of files... However, after
streamlining the codes I got the following results

done 300
4.1904767226e-006
done 600
7.97062280262
done 900
22.3963802662
done 1200
29.9211888662
done
1375
35.3465962853

with the webhelp deleted and

done 300
4.1904767226e-006
done 600
7.6259175398
done 900
13.3994678095
still processing 10 minutes later

with the webhelp intact

Since the system didn't hang sometime after 1375 (and in fact, still
hasn't made it there), I can only assume that it hit one of the
webhelp files and freaked out...

The thing that's really weird is that the files it's hanging on appear
to be some of the most basic files in the whole system (small, not
alot going on... no hits on the RE search)... So I may just tell the
users to delete the webhelp and have robohelp recreate it after
they've run the program...