s.split() on multiple separators

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Sep 30 12:59:07 EDT 2007

> OK, so I want to split a string c into words using several different
> separators from a list (dels).
>
> I can do this the following C-like way:

> 	cp=[]
> 	for i in xrange(0,len(c)-1):
> 		cp.extend(c[i].split(j))
> 	c=cp

> ['ab', 'd', '', 'ab', '', '']

Given your original string, I'm not sure how that would be the
expected result of "split c on the characters in dels".

While there's a certain faction of pythonistas that don't esteem
regular expressions (or at least find them overused/misused,
which I'd certainly agree to), they may be able to serve your
purposes well:

  >>> c=' abcde abc cba fdsa bcd '
  >>> import re
  >>> r = re.compile('[ce ]')
  >>> r.split(c)

given that a regexp object has a split() method.

-tkc