application version checking against database

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Sep 7 20:57:34 EDT 2007

En Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:12:09 -0300, Hamilton, William
<whamil1 at entergy.com> escribi�:

>> We are trying to implement a system that checks the version of the
>> application against a version number stored in the database.  We don't
>> want the app and the db don't become out of sync.
>>
>> We have tried setting a __version__ variable in the top most module,
>> however, it seems that this is not accessible for the modules that are
>> subsequently imported.  There are a several locations in the app where
>> we want to do the version check, but we would like to have one place
>> to set the version number, namely the top level module.
>
> You could add a Version module that contains the version number and any
> functions related to the version checking, and import that into the
> modules that do version checking.

Also, there is a version module already available from the standard
library:

 from distutils.version import StrictVersion
__version__ = StrictVersion("1.3")
__version__ = '$Revision: 1.19 $'[11:-2]

The last line is for CVS.

--
Gabriel Genellina