setuptools without unexpected downloads

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 26 02:20:57 EDT 2007

Ben Finney <ben at benfinney.id.au> writes:

> How can I, as the distributor of a package using setuptools, gain
> the benefits of dependency declaration and checking, without the
> drawback of unexpected and potentially unwanted download and
> installation?

To clarify: I want to retain the "assert the specified dependencies
are satisfied" behaviour, without the "... and, if not, download and
install them the Setuptools Way" behaviour.

Instead, I just want the default "dependencies not satisfied"
behaviour for my 'setup.py' program to be: complain the dependencies
aren't met, and refuse to install.

If I can set that default, and allow individual users to specifically
override that and get the "download and install un-met dependencies"
behaviour if they want, all well and good; but that's not necessary.

How can I get this happening with setuptools?

--
 \          "One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He |
  `\        said, 'Didn't you see the stop sign?' I said, 'Yeah, but I |