Co-developers wanted: document markup language

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Sep 1 09:24:40 EDT 2007

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> By the way, did you know there was life before TEX? Back in that era, the
> main open-source markup system in use was ... troff. Still not quite dead
> today, it lives on in the definition of Unix/Linux man pages.

I would hardly call troff "open source", at least not "back in that era".
When I first started using roff and nroff, you had to sign all sorts of
non-disclosure paperwork to get a copy of Unix.  It wasn't until much later
that things like the BSD and GNU projects started coming out with open
source versions.

Of course, the whole roff family is based on the old runoff program (which
in turn was probably based on something else).

Anybody remember Scribe?