list index() (OT)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Sep 1 03:08:31 EDT 2007

Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
> "Richie Hindle" <richi...ian.com> wrote:
>
>> But - the word for someone who posts to the internet with the intention of
>> stirring up trouble derives from the word for what fishermen do, not from
>> the word for something that lives under a bridge.  It derives from "trolling
>> for suckers" or "trolling for newbies".
>
> So am I right in asserting that there is a difference in pronunciation
> of the noun and the verb?
>
> He is a Troll - like the excellent frolic example
> He likes to Troll - rhymes with roll?

I think you are seeking consistency where none exists. I don't believe
anyone uses different pronunciations for the noun and the verb (which I
guess will make those who *do* come out of the woodwork in double-quick
time).

Where's Godwin's Law when yo need it?

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119