Python 3K or Python 2.9?

TheFlyingDutchman zzbbaadd at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 12:26:15 EDT 2007

Well I'm with Bruce Eckel - there shouldn't be any argument for the
object in the class method parameter list. But since Python 3 was
"code-named" 3000 (implying but not delivering big changes... I don't
think it required big changes) and since it still has an explicit
object parameter it's a given that it's not gonna happen in any
revisions.

Bruce said that no other mainstream OO language is explicitly passing
the object as a parameter to class methods. But Perl does it as well.
I think the label "mainstream OO language" is as valid being applied
to Perl as it is to Python.

What I would like to have seen added to class definitions was the
forced declaration of all object variables in the class outside of
methods. I don't like the fact that they have to be, and can be
created in any method on the fly.