Memory Problem

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Sep 18 10:37:23 EDT 2007

En Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:58:42 -0300, Christoph Scheit
<cscheit at lstm.uni-erlangen.de> escribi�:

> I have to deal with several millions of data, actually I'm trying an
> example
> with
> 360 grid points and 10000 time steps, i.e. 3 600 000 entries (and each
> row
> consits of 4 int and one float)
> Of course, the more keys the bigger is the dictionary, but is there a
> way to
> evaluate the actual size of the dictionary?

Yes, but probably you should not worry about it, just a few bytes per
entry.
Why don't you use an actual database? sqlite is fast, lightweight, and
comes with Python 2.5

>> >  # add row i and increment number of rows
>> >  self.rows.append(DBRow(self, self.nRows))
>> >  self.nRows += 1

This looks suspicious, and may indicate that your structure contains
cycles, and Python cannot always recall memory from those cycles, and you
end using much more memory than needed.

--
Gabriel Genellina