Python 3K or Python 2.9?

Ricardo Aráoz ricaraoz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 22:31:29 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> TheFlyingDutchman a écrit :
>> Well I'm with Bruce Eckel - there shouldn't be any argument for the
>> object in the class method parameter list.
>
> def fun(obj, *args, **kw):
>    # generic code here that do something with obj
>
> import some_module
> some_module.SomeClass.fun = fun
>
> This is why uniformity is important.
>
> But anyway, I think it's quite clear that Python won't drop the explicit
> self, so it looks like you have to live with it or choose another language.
>
>> Bruce said that no other mainstream OO language is explicitly passing
>> the object as a parameter to class methods.
>
> to methods. class methods gets the class as first parameter.
>
> Anyway, there are a lot of things that Python doesn't do like "other
> mainstream OO languages", and that's a GoodThing.
>

>> What I would like to have seen added to class definitions was the
>> forced declaration of all object variables in the class outside of
>> methods. I don't like the fact that they have to be, and can be
>> created in any method on the fly.
>
> I definitively think you'd be happier with some other language.

<Ironic>

Hi, I'm new to Python, I don't even fully know the language, never done
a full project in Python. What's more, probably I'll never will.
But that's not the point, the point is I want YOU people to modify the
language you know in and out, the program with which you've done many
systems, I want you to change it to suit my whims, so that I'll be
comfortable with the 3 ten liners I'll write.
TIA

</Ironic>