Odd files; just left behind?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Sep 22 03:18:38 EDT 2007

Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:

> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>>>  >>>

>>> it would seem simpler to have the .so files inside the
>>> site-packages and there's the question of why this folder has to be
>>> obfuscated (name starts with .). Even if these files are
>>> "resources" why should they be assumed to belong to the user?
>>
>> Notice that you did install your lib/python in /myhome, not in /usr[/local]
>
> yes, so should I then assume that the root installs will put all the
> .so files in /usr/local/lib/.python-eggs?

No no -- the extraction of these .so files happens at *runtime*, so it
has to write the files somewhere it has permission to write to.  It's
like RL's zipapp resource extraction feature in fact, except the
resource extraction happens at runtime.  See those web pages I pointed
you at before.

> In fact when I look at my root installed pythons they seem quite happy
> to put the _mysql.so underneath site-packages. I suspect that if I
> just installed from source I'd get that behaviour, but the egg stuff
> is different.

Not sure without all the details, but I suspect those are non-egg
installs.

John