Odd files; just left behind?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Sep 21 07:08:57 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>>  >>>

>> it would seem simpler to have the .so files inside the site-packages and
>> there's the question of why this folder has to be obfuscated (name
>> starts with .). Even if these files are "resources" why should they be
>> assumed to belong to the user?
>
> Notice that you did install your lib/python in /myhome, not in /usr[/local]

yes, so should I then assume that the root installs will put all the .so files
in /usr/local/lib/.python-eggs?

In fact when I look at my root installed pythons they seem quite happy to put
the _mysql.so underneath site-packages. I suspect that if I just installed from
source I'd get that behaviour, but the egg stuff is different.

> (snip)
>> Just another nonsense from the eggworld
>
> Or just another example of not reading the FineManual(tm) ?

well I didn't write the installer or the associated egg setup. The egg things
are supposed to do the right thing, but perhaps they're too difficult for the
egg layers.
--
Robin Becker