Getting rid of bitwise operators in Python 3?

George Sakkis george.sakkis at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 20:45:22 EDT 2007

On Sep 22, 3:29 pm, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:50:12 +0000, Paddy wrote:
> > Sorry Carl,
> > I think *you* may not have much need for bitwise operators but others,
> > including myself do. No matter what the usage found, I would think
> > replacing bitwise operators by function calls a retrograde step.
>
> Well, if people are going to take the suggestion this personally, maybe
> that's reason enough not to bother.
>
> Carl Banks

If you want to push it further, one argument could be along the lines
of "ok, apparently bit fiddling is important for some classes of
problems but so are regular expressions. Are bit operations so
frequent and/or important to grant them around a dozen of operators
while there are none for regexps ?"

George