where is help file?

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Fri Sep 14 10:23:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 10:00 -0400, PaulS wrote:
> new to Fedora7, typed python in interactive interpreter, then help().  Then
> modules to get a list of modules.  Then module name to get info on a module
> but no help file.  What is the help file name?  Is there an environmental
> variable I have to set?

There is no help file, and no environment variable. The help text is
stored directly inside each module and function that supplies a help
text. Observe:

>>> def f(x):
...   "Calculate the square of x."
...   return x**x
>>> help(f)
Help on function f in module __main__:

f(x)
    Calculate the square of x.
(END)

Providing such a help text is optional, but all standard library modules
do provide help as far as I know. Consequently, the fact that you have a
module that doesn't provide a help text seems to indicate that it's not
a standard library module. What's the name of the module you're trying
to get help on?

Hope this helps (no pun intended),

--
Carsten Haese