True of False

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 27 13:11:14 EDT 2007

koutoo at hotmail.com wrote:
> I tried writing a true and false If statement and didn't get
> anything?  I read some previous posts, but I must be missing
> something.  I just tried something easy:
>
> a = ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"]
>
> if "c" in a == True:
>      Print "Yes"
>
> When I run this, it runs, but nothing prints.  What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks.

You are unnecessarily adding a comparison with True. The correct way to
write that is

if "c" in a:
   print "yes"

Bu of course you haven't actually told us what you really did, because
the code you represent has syntax errors.

 >>> a = ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"]
 >>> "c" in a
True
 >>> if "c" in a == True:
...    print "found it"
 >>> if ("c" in a) == True:
...     print "At last!"
At last!

--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline