Pythonwin Install COM exceptions on Windows Vista Ultimate

Sandipan News news at sandipan.com
Sun Sep 2 12:14:03 EDT 2007

Here are some steps I used to finally successfully install Python and
Pythonwin on Vista Ultimate:

1. Uninstalled Python (could not see a way to uninstall Pythonwin)
2. Installed Python again (.MSI does not provide option to run as
Administrator)
3. Rebooted computer
4. Installed Pythonwin with right click option "Run as Administrator" - This
was different from the last time I installed this.

Copied pythoncom25.dll to C:\Windows\system32\pythoncom25.dll
Copied pywintypes25.dll to C:\Windows\system32\pywintypes25.dll
Registered: Python.Interpreter
Registered: Python.Dictionary
Registered: Python
-> Software\Python\PythonCore\2.5\Help[None]=None
-> Software\Python\PythonCore\2.5\Help\Pythonwin
Reference[None]='C:\\Python25\\Lib\\site-packages\\PyWin32.chm'
Shortcut for Pythonwin created
Shortcut to documentation created
The pywin32 extensions were successfully installed.

This time, no errors.

5. Started up a Python script from a directory using right-click | Open With
| Pythonwin.exe and it works fine.

Earlier it was giving an error about not being able to locate win32ui.pyd.

I did not touch UAC or Router/Rooter/Firewall ... I did not know how to.

Thanks.

Sandipan