Getting rid of bitwise operators in Python 3?

richyjsm at gmail.com richyjsm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 20:10:29 EDT 2007

On Sep 22, 7:50 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> Everybody forgets that pow can take three arguments, except of course for
> those who use that functionality and would be mighty peeved if it went
> away.

And who is it who uses this functionality?  It's useful in elementary
number theory, sure, but I'd argue that if there are going to be
number theoretical functions in the core then there are other things,
like gcd(), that are far more deserving of inclusion.  It comes up in
the RSA cryptosystem, but if you're using Python's pow for this then
you're surely only writing a toy RSA implementation, perhaps for
educational purposes(?).  Neither of these seem like compelling
arguments to have pow in the core.

Richard