Python Database Apps

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Sep 12 19:55:11 EDT 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:53 AM, darien.watkins at gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks for ideas Ed.  I am checking out dabo now.  I do have a few
> questions about it.  Packaging.  Is it easy to package into a quick
> install for windows.  The users are going to want to get too in
> depth.

	py2exe is your friend here. I know several developers who have used
this to distribute Dabo apps, so we could certainly help you get your
setup.py working.

> Second, data sources.  When I'm adding a data source to the
> window in class designer, it always picks up the one I created (which
> incidentally was a sample, my form for connection manager isn't
> working at the moment.)  My idea is to have the the local sqlite
> database as the only viewable data source, and the server side only
> for syncing.  So they logon, sync up, sync down, and view.  I'm
> worried about having to get them to install python, dabo, and the app.

	The users would never see any of the Class Designer, connection
editor, or any of the other development tools. I would imagine that
you would need to code the sync parts by getting the current changed
data from the local SQLite database, creating a connection to the
server DB, doing the insert/update as needed, grabbing the latest
from the server, disconnecting from the server, and then updating the
local data. The user would probably need to do nothing more than
click a button to start running your code.

	As far as what the user must install, that's what will happen with
any Python solution. py2exe takes care of all of that, bundling
Python, Dabo, your database modules, and any other dependencies into
a single .exe file. You can then use something like Inno Setup to
create a basic Installer that will look and work like any other
Windows application installer.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com