memcpy

Tim tec at knology.net
Tue Sep 11 08:09:58 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 3:31 pm, Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch <bj_... at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:38:50 -0700, Tim wrote:
> > How do I memcpy from a pointer to an array of floats in python?
>
> > I get errors: NameError: global name 'row' is not defined
>
> Well than the (global) name `row` is not defined.  Quite clear message,
> isn't it?  ;-)
>
> > I want to be able to get the row[i] array element. In C I would
> > normally place the address of row as the first argument.
>
> > cdll.msvcrt.memcpy( row, pData, 256 )
>
> > If I define row as the following I also get the following error:
>
> > row = ones( TOTAL_PARAMETER_ENTRIES, dtype=float )
>
> > ArgumentError: argument 1: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: Don't know
> > how to convert parameter 1
>
> You don't give enough information so we have to guess.  For example I
> guess the `ones()` function comes from one of the packages `numeric`,
> `numarray` or `numpy`!?
>
> This function returns a Python object.  You can't use arbitrary Python
> objects with `ctypes`.  `memcpy` expects a pointer not an object.
>
> Ciao,
>         Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Can I initialize something in Python that I can get access to it's
pointer?
How about:

self.data =
TOTAL_OUTPUT_PARMETERS*[TOTAL_PARAMETER_ENTRIES*[c_float()]

or

self.data = TOTAL_OUTPUT_PARMETERS*[c_char_p("temp")]

or

self.data = [TOTAL_OUTPUT_PARMETERS*1.0]*TOTAL_PARAMETER_ENTRIES

I need to be able to copy the contents of a pointer to shared memory
into an array of floats so I can index into that array and see my
data. I have a pointer to shared meory but I don't know how to access
it.

Here is what I would like to write:

shared_memory_pointer = windll.kernel32.MapViewOfFile(hMapObject,
FILE_MAP_ALL_ACCESS,
            0, 0, TABLE_SHMEMSIZE)

memcpy( self.data, shared_memory_pointer, my_size )

Thanks