How to Start

TheFlyingDutchman zzbbaadd at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 18:19:27 EDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2:59 pm, mrc2... at cox.net (Michael R. Copeland) wrote:
>    I've decided that Python is a language/environment I'd like to learn
> (I've been a professional programmer for 45+ years), but I really don't
> know where and how to start!  I have a number of books - and am buying
> some more - but because of the bewildering number of after-market
> packages, environments, and add-ons, I am really quite perplexed about
> starting.  8<{{
>    Yes, I could fire up the interactive mode and play with some
> statements...but I consider that sort of thing for programming neophytes
> or experimenting with specific issues.  First, I want to develop a
> simple Windows application, and because of the plethora of "stuff" the
> Python world offers, I don't know where to begin.
>    For example, what basic, easy-to-use interface might I start with to
> build a simple text file parsing and analysis program?  That is, I'd
> like to start with a simple Windows shell that prompts for a file name,
> processes it, and then displays some result.
>    I am certainly impressed with the apparent experience and openness of
> the regular players here, but the discussions here (and in
> c.l.p.announce) truly presume knowledge and experience with Python I
> don't yet have.  Yes, for even a very experienced programmer, entering
> the Python world is very daunting - but I want to get started.
>    Please advise.  TIA

I like Wing IDE ( http://www.wingware.com ) . They have a free version
and Personal and Professional versions.

The free version description says:
"Wing IDE 101

Wing IDE 101 is a free basic edition of Wing IDE that was originally
designed with the University of Toronto Computer Science Department
for teaching entry level computer science courses. It is not open
source but is free for use by educators, students, and hobbyists.

Note that Wing IDE 101 omits auto-completion and most other code
intelligence features in the other Wing IDE products. This was by
design, so that students are more conscious of the details of the
language and modules they are learning about."