Any syntactic cleanup likely for Py3? And what about doc standards?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 16:31:14 EDT 2007

On Sep 5, 9:59 pm, Ferenczi Viktor <pyt... at cx.hu> wrote:

> Class decorators allows clean implementation of properties.
> Detailed description:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3129/
> Lets use a hypothetic library providing properties, for example:
>
> from property_support import hasProperties, Property
>
> @hasProperties
> class Sphere(object):
>     def setRadius(self, value):
>         ... some setter implementation ...
>     radius=Property(default=1.0, set=setRadius, type=(int, float))
>     color=Property(default='black', allowNone=True)
>
> This is a cleaner syntax if you need automatic default setter/getter
> implementations with type checking, default values, etc.

I really distaste this "etc." in your description. In the end you
promote endless lists of command line parameters to configure every
possible function. I also doubt that the solution is more clean but
arbitray instead.

My own guess why properties are not promoted with more emphasis is
that they lead to cargo cult programming i.e. everyone starts to use
property syntax even when usual attributes are sufficient. So the
syntax might even be intentionally ugly.