TRying to import files from my folder not pythons lib folder

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 21:01:39 EDT 2007

Steve Holden wrote:
> kyosohma at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, "tedpot... at gmail.com" <tedpot... at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to create my own lib of functions, but it seems like I can
> >> only import them if they are in pythons lib folder.
> >>
> >> Example
> >> I have a folder called
> >> K:\mypython
> >>
> >> Now in the interactive python shell I type
> >> Import k:\mypython\listall
> >> And get a error on :
> >>
> >> If I store listall.py in pythons lib folder and type
> >> Limport listall
> >>
> >> It works fins.
> >>
> >> Can I create my own library of functions and store them in a separate
> >> dir????
> >>
> >> Also I try to creat a folder in pythomns lib folder and that did not
> >> work
> >>
> >> Help
> >> -Ted
> >
> > One workaround is to do to this:
> >
> > <code>
> >
> > import sys
> > sys.path.append(r'K:\mypython')
> > import listall
> >
> > </code>
> >
> > You can also add your path to the .pth file, but I've never done that,
> > so I can't tell you how.
> >
> > Hope that helps!
> >
> > Mike
> >
> The easiest way, particularly for testing, is to set the PYTHONPATH
> variable. It should be a colon-separated list of directories on Unices,
> and a semi-colon separated list on Windows. Those directories will be
> added to sys.path.
>
> See http://docs.python.org/tut/node8.html for yet more.
>
> regards
>   Steve
>
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd           http://www.holdenweb.com
> Skype: holdenweb      http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
>
> Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

This is exactly what I did, but I have a new problem now:
After seting PYTHONPATH I'm no longer able to start IDLE from the
start menu.
It seems the system cannot find the file.
But if I eliminate PYTHONPATH, everything works as it used to.

I set PYTHONPATH because I wanted to import any existing file in my
desktop without having to use sys.path.append...
It works when using the command line but strangely, something get
messed up with IDLE.
Any hint?

Luis