Would Anonymous Functions Help in Learning Programming/Python?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Sep 22 03:47:37 EDT 2007

On 22 Sep., 08:56, Paul Rubin <http://phr...@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> Kay Schluehr <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> writes:
> > If you feel you can transform it into another unambigous grammar
> > mixing statements and expressions it's up to you.
>
> We got rid of the print statement for python 3.0.  Why not get rid
> of the rest of them too?  Just use expressions for everything, as
> works fine for plenty of other languages.

One might create a new dynamic functional+OO programming language,
where small statements like print, assert, raise etc. all become
functions and statements like while, for, with etc. become anonymous
closures. I think Logix had gone once in this direction but was
abandoned due to severe technical problems. So one might eventually
revive this project with another more sound technical base. Personally
I'm not sure it's worth a large effort and whether EasyExtend is the
right toolkit at hand. So it's definitely not Guido who will revive it
and also not me. Maybe some PyPy guys? What are we talking about -
really?