Wait For Application Start

Robert Rawlins - Think Blue robert.rawlins at thinkbluemedia.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 08:14:22 EDT 2007

Hello Guys,

I'm kick starting my application using the inittab to ensure its re-spawned
if it dies. However I need to ensure several other applications and service
are up and running before my application is started, things such as dbus and
a couple of other hardware stacks.

A concept I've been advised to use is that I should make the application
wait for the existence of a file before it starts, then create that file on
the FS using the rc.local file which is called at the end of all other start
items. Only once that file exists will my application commence with its job.

This seems like a very logical method, but I'm not sure how to implement it
into my python code? Is there a simple way to make it wait for that file?
Without the need to build my own conditional loop?

Can anyone perhaps help with a simple code example?

Thanks guys,

Rob