Streaming files from python cgi

Salil Kulkarni skulka3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:27:17 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to create a cgi which downloads a pdf/tiff file from an
ftpserver using ftplib.
Everything works until this point.
But, once the file has been retrieved, I want to be able to stream the file
to the browser so that the user gets an option to save it, or open it with
the necessary application. However, I am not able to figure out how this can
be done.

The code looks as follows:

     #!/usr/local/python2.1/bin/python

     import Path, cgi, sys, os
     from ftplib import FTP
     print "content-type: application/pdf\n\n"

      ftp = FTP("hostname", "salil", "passwd")

      try:
          ftp.cwd("/home/salil")
      except:
          print "Could change directory on remote server"
          sys.exit(1)

      f = open("temp.pdf", "w")
      ftp.retrbinary("RETR O_F.pdf", f.write)
      f.close()
      f = open("temp.pdf", "r")
     print f.read()

I am using Apache 1.3 for this cgi. It would be great if someone can point
out how this can be accomplished, or if there are any examples out there
which I can refer to.

Thanks,
Salil.