ValueError: too many values to unpack,>>>

Shawn Minisall trekker182 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 15:19:32 EDT 2007

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Shawn Minisall wrote:
>

>> Sorry, it looks like it's on the fourth line with the 3 values on line
>> 4...its reading line 3 fine
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>>     main()
>>   File "I:\COMPUTER PROGRAMMING CLASS\PROJECT #1\project1.py", line 33,
>> in main
>>     deposit1, deposit2, deposit3 = string.split(line, "\t")
>> ValueError: too many values to unpack
>>

> instead of fumbling around in the dark, try inserting a print statement
> before the offending line, so you can see what you're trying to unpack:
>
>      print string.split(line, "\t") # see what it is
>      deposit1, deposit2, deposit3 = string.split(line, "\t")
>
> </F>

I did and it printed everything up until the 3rd line with 3 numbers for
deposits.  I have since figured it out...the teacher put in an extra tab
after the last value so python thought it was 4 values for three.  I
went back into the file and deleted the extra tab after the 3rd number
and saved it...now it's working fine.

I'm going to kill her...

;)