Basic GUI

Don Hanlen dhanlen at owt.com
Tue Sep 11 23:54:42 EDT 2007

I'm writing a simple GUI that:
    ..gets info via telnet protocol (and sends)
    ..gets info via http (and sends)
    ..gets user-info from (currently)
        ...Tkinter Text windoze
        ...Tkinter buttons and such
    ..displays info in various Tkinter windoze
        ...graphic AND text...

I can accomplish all of these functions individually and now seem to
need to set up multi-processes to combine 'em.  Back in my C days, I'd
have used fork/exec to do so, but I'm confused by the number of
modules available in Python.  Is there a "best" for portability and
simplicity?  (Or am I on the wrong track here?)

I could solve my problems with the following psuedo-code made into
real code:
----
    import blah

    t = blah.fork(runthisprogram.py)

    #OK still in main
    t.sendinfo(info)
    info = t.receiveinfo()
----
    #runthisprogram.py
    def sendinfobacktopapa():
        ? eventhere
    def getinfofrompapa():
        ? eventhere
----

It seems to me that propagating events *may* be the best way to
communicate.  I'm wide open, including to non-multi-process solutions.

Thanks for your comments, I searched old posts for a while, various
other Python info-sources, and couldn't find an answer.
--
don