An Editor that Skips to the End of a Def

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Tue Sep 25 23:12:47 EDT 2007

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:

> That's another issue, that of ROI. Having learnt the vi/vim
> keystrokes, what does that enable you to do? Use vi/vim, and that's
> it.

There are a great many programs whose interactive keybindings come
from vi. Perhaps you've heard of 'less', 'screen', 'mutt', or dozens
of other frequently-used programs, all of which use 'vi key bindings
by default.

> Whereas I've found other situations where subsets of Emacs
> keystrokes are recognized, such as anything that uses GNU readline

Which can also be configured one-time by the user to use 'vi'
keybindings everywhere, so the 'vi' fanatic is able to keep using the
key bindings they know.

I think this argument is silly — both Emacs and vi(m) have enormous
following, are both extremely capable editors, and both are clearly
the inspiration for many other programs' key bindings. It's ludicrous
to say of either program that "once you learn its key bindings you
only know how to use that program".

--
 \     "Welchen Teil von 'Gestalt' verstehen Sie nicht?  [What part of |
  `\             'gestalt' don't you understand?]"  -- Karsten M. Self |