building a GUI

Kelvie Wong kelvie at ieee.org
Sun Sep 23 16:16:51 EDT 2007

On 9/23/07, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:

> stef mientki schrieb:
> > Thomas Dybdahl Ahle wrote:

> python

> >> That sounds mostly like a personal preference :)
> >>

> > Well I prefer Python ( because of it's OS-independancy and it's open
> > source),
> > but Python is really (still) much worse for GUI designs.
> > Just compare some parameters like:
> > - ease of use
> > - speed of development
> > - support of features
> > - availability of libraries
> > - documentation
>
> Sounds like PyQt for me. Best GUI-designer I know, tremendous speed in
> development, giant sized lib that does all kinds of stuff & is
> brilliantly designed + professional grade docus.
>
> Diez
> --

I'll have to agree completely here, Qt is just so great to work with.  It
makes my day job (I have to do it in C++) much more bearable.  Phil Thompson
(who maintains PyQt) is also very responsive and updates frequently even if
you haven't bought a commercial licence for it.

I also have to agree that the Qt Designer is the best I've ever had to work
with, and I can't think of an instance where Qt Assistant wasn't open on one
desktop or another.

--
Kelvie