automatic parallelization

Mikhail Teterin usenet+meow at aldan.algebra.com
Thu Sep 13 23:07:32 EDT 2007

Cameron Laird wrote:

> There are a LOT more possibilities one might pursue, depending
> on the details of Mr. Teterin's intent.

The reason I began wondering about this is that I like a particular
image-gallery generating tool called `imageindex'
(http://www.edwinh.org/imageindex/)

Unfortunately, it processes all given pictures sequentionally ignoring my
three other cores.

The tool is written in Perl, but I would consider rewriting it in Tcl or
Python, if the language made it easy to parallelize loops...

> I'm fond of Linda <URL:
> http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=10125/ur0704l/ >, Parallel
> Python <URL: http://www.parallelpython.com/ > only one of several
> initiatives which aspire to exploit multicores, and so on.

Linda URL does not open... I'll look into Parallel Python, but it is
an "execution server", which is a rather different approach from OpenMP's,
which I'm more familiar with.

Thanks!

        -mi