directpython question

Heikki Salo hosalo at _NO_SPAM_gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 10:41:23 EDT 2007

veki wrote:
> Hello,
> I've got IBM Thinkpad 30 laptop with configuration:
>
> IBM Thinkpad R30
> P3 Mobile Celeron 900mhz
> 128mb sdram pc133
> 15gb hdd
> cd-rom Teac cd-224e
> 56K V.90/92
> 10/100 Ethernet
> lpt port
> ps2 port
> 2 x usb port
> vga-out
> pcmcia
>
> ,then I have been install directx 9.0c,Python 2.5 and directpython for
> python 2.5.On my two computers directpython works but on this
> laptop it don't want work e.g:
>
> When I want execute this script on laptop:
>
> import d3dx
> frame=d3dx.Frame(u'SOME FRAME')
> frame.mainloop()
>
> I get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\veki1.py", line 2, in <module>
>     fr=d3dx.Frame(u'SOME FRAME')
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\directpy\d3dx.py", line 639, in
> __init__
>     self._createDevice(area[2:4])
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\site-packages\directpy\d3dx.py", line 659, in
> _createDevice
>     raise RuntimeError("No valid mode found")
> RuntimeError: No valid mode found
>
> Regards,
> Vedran

As Tim already noted, your laptop apparently uses Trident
CyberBlade Ai1 graphics card, which is quite old and designed
for DirectX 6-8. This is not a problem if the device driver is
up to date, but the newest I found seems to be from 2003. This
can be a problem if it does not correctly support DirectX 9.0c
(released in 2004).

You should see what the DirectX diagnostics tool says
(dxdiag.exe - found in WINDIR\system32) and possibly update
the driver. Then cross your fingers and see what happens.

--
Heikki Salo