newbie: self.member syntax seems /really/ annoying

Wildemar Wildenburger lasses_weil at klapptsowieso.net
Thu Sep 13 15:56:00 EDT 2007

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> OTHO, simple math-illeterate programmers like me will have hard time
> maintaining such a code.
Certainly, but again: Such main people are not the intended audience.
The code is for people that know how to read these equations. I think a
general rule of (any form of) writing is to write with your audience in
mind. I always do that and happily, that audience is usually naked.

> Also and FWIW, it's not always possible to make
> a direct translation of a mathematic formula|algorithm in Python, and
> even when it is, it's not always the best thing to do wrt/ perfs (I
> recently had such a case, and after a pythonic rewrite the code was
> about 75% shorter, 50% faster, and 200% more readable for average joe
> programmer).

Your point. Different game, but still your point. ;)

>> ... my 2 sents, anyway ...
>
> May I add my 2 cents - or should I send them  ?-)

No, actually you're supposed to smell them. Oh, how I love homophones!

/W