So what exactly is a complex number?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Wed Sep 5 13:15:37 EDT 2007

Grzegorz S?odkowicz wrote:

> In fact, a proper vector in physics has 4 features: point of
> application, magnitude, direction and sense.

No -- a vector has the properties "magnitude" and direction.
Although not everything that has magnitude and direction is a
vector.

It's very unusual to have a fixed point of application as a vector's
property (at least I haven't seen it so far). That would complicate
equality tests.

> In case of a vector in two dimensions (a special case, which you
> also fail to stress not to mention that you were talking about
> space) the magnitude and sense can be described by one number

Actually, the "magnitude" and "sense" you use here are redundant.
What's the difference between a vector with magnitude "1" and
sense "-", and magnitude "-1" and sense "+"?

> and the direction as another.

Represent the direction as one number? Only in a one-dimensional
space.

Regards,

Björn

--