reading xls file from python

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sat Sep 15 07:03:19 EDT 2007

On 15/09/2007 1:50 PM, Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:56:34 -0300, <hassen62 at voila.fr> escribi�:
>
>> I have installed python 2.5 for windows in my pc, I have a file xls
>> say "file.xls" in c:/python25. How I can read this files from Python.
>> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Try xlrd: http://www.python.org/pypi/xlrd

In the interests of even-handedness:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t352440-how-to-read-excel-files-in-python.html
covers other possibilities.

OT: A note for the OP: It is not a good idea to store your data files
(example: file.xls) in the folder of some installed software (example:
c:/python25). You may need to re-install the software and this may trash
your data. Consider storing data files in folders whose names give some
hint as to their contents.

HTH,
John