Python 3K or Python 2.9?

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Sep 12 20:47:27 EDT 2007

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd at aol.com> writes:

> I am talking about how an author describes in English the "this"
> pointer/reference in their book on programming C++ or Java.
>
> I don't think you will find them saying that under the covers "this"
> was passed to the method (if in fact it is). They just say that it
> refers to the current object inside that object's method.

In other words, it's magic, and the behaviour has to be explained so
the reader knows where the undeclared 'this' comes from.

How is that preferable to the magic of "instance is passed as the
first argument to a method"?
--
 \          "If nothing changes, everything will remain the same."  -- |
  `\                                                       Barne's Law |