c interfacing in 2.5

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Sep 15 06:31:06 EDT 2007

Rustom Mody schrieb:
> I used python extensive 3-5 years back.  Coming back I find some
> changes.  Trying to understand whats new and would appreciate any
> help/comments/pointers.
>
> Earlier there were basically two options:
> SWIG: convenient but inefficient
> Native (Extending/Embedding): an efficient way of getting a headache!
> (Boost being ignored because not using C++)
>
> Now it seems there are more possibilities:
>
> -- Sip seems to be more efficient than swig and easier than native but
> not well documented
> -- pyrex could be considered
> -- I know someone who uses pygtk to make wrappings
>
> But most interesting is ctype.  I wonder if having ctype in the core
> language changes the ease of use of the native wrapping model and
> thereby makes sip/swig etc less necessary?
>
> Your views and/or experience appreciated.

ctypes is for C. Where it is great to use.

If you need C++-wrapping, I recommend SIP.

While the docs for SIP aren't overwhelming, I consider them accurate and
complete. Best thing to do is to take a SIP-based project (most probably
PyQt itself) and wheneever a question appears, rummage through it.

Diez