Python Database Apps

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Tue Sep 11 08:56:12 EDT 2007

Tom Brown <brown at esteem.com> writes:

> On Monday 10 September 2007 19:52, darien.watkins at gmail.com wrote:
>> Kindof a poll, kindof curiosity...
>>
>> What is your favorite python - database combination?  I'm looking to
>> make an app that has a local DB and a server side DB.  I'm looking at
>> python and sqlite local side and sql server side.
>>
>> Any suggestions????
>
> I have had a lot of good luck with PostgreSQL. It is easy to install and use.
> It is also very stable. It maybe overkill for a client side database. The
> psycopg package makes interfacing to PostgreSQL very easy and there is a
> package for Linux and Windows to make cross-platform development a breeze.
>
> -Tom

I use postgresql as well.  I wonder if Pythonistas do so out of
concern for rigor, clarity, and scalability.  It works fine for a
quick one-off effort and still works fine after scaling to a DBMS
server supporting lots of clients, and running 10's of GBs of data.

If an app comes already designed for mysql, oracle, sqlite, db2, dbm,
etc I'll use those.  But for my own projects, it is postgresql, with
maybe SQLAlchemy (I'm back and forth on that.  Mostly stay with
straight SQL).

Of course, as long as you write DBI2 compliant code, your app doesn't
much care which DBMS you use.  The postgresql payoff is in admin
functionality and scaling and full ACID.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture