Would Anonymous Functions Help in Learning Programming/Python?

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 07:04:46 EDT 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:32:30 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:
>> That's it, lost me already.  You ever see the kinds of programs
>> mechanical engineers write?  It isn't software.
>
> They do a lot of number crunching.  Certainly they can appreciate higher
> order functions like integrate(f, x0, x1) to integrate the function f
> from x0 to x1; or diff(f, x0) to find the derivative of f at x0; etc.
> Fortran had cheesy ways to do this as far back as the 1950's.

Well, I appreaciate it, as do many other engineers, but for a lot of
engineers functional programming might as well not exist, either because
they don't about it or don't care about it.  And it doesn't really affect
them much, other than making them slightly less efficient then they could
have been.  That's the key here.

Carl Banks