Setting stdout encoding

Ryan Ginstrom software at ginstrom.com
Fri Sep 14 01:27:46 EDT 2007

> On Behalf Of Gabriel Genellina
> You should check that obj is an unicode object before calling
> encode.
> Strings should not be encoded.
> __getattr__ is only called when the attribute has NOT been
> found in the usual way, so checking for "write" is
> unnecesary. Just return getattr(self.stdout, attr) always.

Thanks a lot. Here is my modified class:

import sys

class OutStreamEncoder(object):
    """Wraps a stream with an encoder
    """

    def __init__(self, outstream, encoding=None):
        self.out = outstream
        if not encoding:
            self.encoding = sys.getfilesystemencoding()
        else:
            self.encoding = encoding

    def write(self, obj):
        """Wraps the stream's output stream, encoding unicode
        strings with the specified encoding"""

        if isinstance(obj, unicode):
            self.out.write(obj.encode(self.encoding))
        else:
            self.out.write(obj)

    def __getattr__(self, attr):
        """Delegate everything but write to the stream"""

        return getattr(self.out, attr)

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom