can Python be useful as functional?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 18 12:14:33 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Stella wrote:
[...]
> My question is: how can we call a language "functional" if it's major
> implementation has a limited stack? Or is my code wrong?

So, which environment do you habitually use that provides an *unlimited*
stack?

You remind me of the conversation between the philosopher and an
attractive lady whom he was seated next to at dinner. He asked her if
she would sleep with him for a million dollars, to which she readily
agreed. So he followed this by asking her if she'd sleep with him for a
dollar. She replied: "No. Do you take me for a prostitutte?", to which
his riposte was "We have already established that fact, and are now
merely haggling about the price".

You just don't like the specific limit that Python imposes. So increase
it with sys.setrecursionlimit().

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119

Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline