Soemthing wrong w/ urllib module or something.

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Sep 3 04:28:59 EDT 2007

Lamonte Harris wrote:
> Error Message in cmd:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "wniamp_lastest5_playlist.py", line 25, in <module>
>     response = urllib2.urlopen(request)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 121, in urlopen
>     return _opener.open(url, data)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 374, in open
>     response = self._open(req, data)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 392, in _open
>     '_open', req)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 353, in _call_chain
>     result = func(*args)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1100, in http_open
>     return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\urllib2.py", line 1075, in do_open
>     raise URLError(err)
> urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error (10053, 'Software caused connection
> abort')>

> For some reason its not acting right when trying to run.  I get that error
> message and I never seen anything like it.

My experience is that that error message represents the local firewall
or virus scanner blocking your network activity. That said, it doesn't
seem likely that your firewall is blocking activity on port 80 without
your having noticed! Maybe the domain you're posting to is selectively
blacklisted by your local firewall?

To do the obvious, can you open a socket connection to the domain you're
using?

<code>
from socket import socket
socket ().connect (("DOMAINHERE", 80))