metaclasses: timestamping instances

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Sep 1 12:07:33 EDT 2007

km wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have extended a prototype idea from Alex Martelli's resource on
> metaclasses regarding time stamping of instances.
>
> <code>
> import time
> class Meta(type):
>     start = time.time()
>     def __call__(cls, *args, **kw):
>         print 'Meta start time  %e'%cls.start
>         x = super(Meta, cls).__call__(*args, **kw)
>         current_time = time.time()
>         x._created = current_time - Meta.start
>         Meta.start = time.time()
>         return x
>
> class X(object):
>     __metaclass__ = Meta
> class Y(X):
>     __metaclass__ = Meta
>     pass
> a = X()
> print 'a time stamp %e'%a._created
> b = Y()
> print 'b time stamp %e'%b._created
> print abs(a._created - b._created)
> </code>
>
> I donot understand the difference between
> 1) setting __metaclass__ to 'Meta'  in class Y
> 2) not setting  __metaclass__  to Meta in class Y
>
> Why is the difference in behaviour of time stamping between 1 & 2 ?
>
> kindly enlighten

I don't see and difference. The rules for establishing the metaclass of
a class are fairly well defined: see

   http://docs.python.org/ref/metaclasses.html

which says

     * If dict['__metaclass__'] exists, it is used.

     * Otherwise, if there is at least one base class, its metaclass is
used (this looks for a __class__ attribute first and if not found, uses
its type).

     * Otherwise, if a global variable named __metaclass__ exists, it is
used.

     * Otherwise, the old-style, classic metaclass (types.ClassType) is
used.

By the second rule it would appear that the metaclass of X is the same
as that of Y even if the __metaclass__ assignment is commented out, and
informal testing appears to show that this is the case.

Debugging with Wing IDE and examining the classes at a breakpoint shows
this to be true (even after Y's __metaclass__ assignment is commented out):

 >>> X.__metaclass__
<class '__main__.Meta'>
 >>> Y.__metaclass__
<class '__main__.Meta'>

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119