setuptools without unexpected downloads

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:04:42 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 8:30 am, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> > Paul Boddie wrote:
>
> >> P.S. Of course, the package maintainer problem manifests itself most
> >> prominently on Windows where you often see people asking for pre-built
> >> packages or installers.
>
> > for the record, I'd love to see a group of volunteers doing stuff like
> > this for Windows.  there are plenty of volunteers that cover all major
> > Linux/*BSD distributions (tons of thanks to everyone involved in this!),
> > but as far as I can remember, nobody has ever volunteered to do the same
> > for Windows.
>
> I'd like to see something like this happen, too, and if a group of
> volunteers emerges I'll do what I can through the PSF to provide
> resources. Activities that benefit the whole community (or a large part
> of it) are, IMHO, well worth supporting.
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd          http://www.holdenweb.com
> Skype: holdenweb      http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
>
> Sorry, the dog ate my .sigline

What would it entail to do this? Using py2exe + some installer (like
Inno Setup) to create an installer that basically copies/installs the
files into the site-packages folder or wherever the user chooses? If
that's all it is, I would think it would be fairly easy to create
these. Maybe I'm over-simplifying it though.

What are a some examples of packages that need this?

Mike