printing list containing unicode string

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Tue Sep 11 02:18:08 EDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:26:20 -0700, Xah Lee wrote:

> ・  Many Internet standards are defined in terms of textual data, and
> can't handle content with embedded zero bytes.
>
> Not sure what he mean by "can't handle content with embedded zero
> bytes". Overall i think this sentence is silly, and he's probably
> thinking in unix/linux.

No he's probably thinking of all the text based protocols (HTTP, SMTP, …)
and that one of the most used programming languages, C, can't cope with
embedded null bytes in strings.

> ・  Encodings don't have to handle every possible Unicode
> character, ....
>
> This is inane. A encoding, by definition, turns numbers into binary
> numbers (in our context, it means a encoding handles all unicode chars
> by definition).

How do you encode chinese characters with the ISO-8859-1 encoding? This
encoding obviously doesn't handle *all* unicode characters.

>> UTF-8 has several convenient properties:
> 1. It can handle any Unicode code point.
>

> As mentioned before, by definition, any Unicode encoding encodes all
> unicode char set. The mentioning of above as a "convenient property"
> is inane.

You are being silly here.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch