Will Python 3.0 remove the global interpreter lock (GIL)

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 03:15:59 EDT 2007

On Sep 3, 2:21 am, llothar <llot... at web.de> wrote:
> I'm afraid that the GIL is killing the usefullness of python for some
> types of applications now where 4,8 oder 64 threads on a chip are here
> or comming soon.
>
> What is the status about that for the future of python?

This is FAQ. You will find thousands of discussion on the net about
that.
My personal opinion (and I am not the only one in the Python
community) is that
if you want to scale the way to go is to use processes, not threads,
so removing the GIL would be a waste of effort anyway.
Look at the 'processing' module in PyPI.

 Michele Simionato