status of Programming by Contract (PEP 316)?

Russ uymqlp502 at sneakemail.com
Sun Sep 2 04:00:37 EDT 2007

On Sep 1, 11:04 pm, Paul Rubin wrote:

> I still don't understand why you don't like the decorator approach,
> which can easily implement the above.

Well, maybe decorators are the answer. If a function needs only one
decorator for all the conditions and invariants (pre and post-
conditions), and if it can just point to functions defined elsewhere
(rather than defining everything inline), then perhaps they make
sense. I guess I need to read up more on decorators to see if this is
possible.

In fact, the ideal would be to have just a single decorator type, say
"contract" or "self_test", that takes an argument that points to the
relevant functions to use for the function that the decorator applies
to. Then the actual self-test functions could be pushed off somewhere
else, and the "footprint" on the primary code would be minimal