Looking for web software in Python.

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Sep 18 07:44:58 EDT 2007

Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Are any of the following pieces of web software available in Python
> (under a non-copyleft license like BSD or MIT or Python license)?
>

> Mailing list - with web accessable archive and list maintenance.
> Source control
> Wiki System
>
> Again, only non-copyleft licenses like MIT, BSD, or public domain.

I'm curious why copyleft matters to you. Were you planning on taking the
mailing list software and redistributing a modified version?

There is nothing in the GPL which prevents you taking something like
Mailman, modifying it as much as you like and using the improved version.
There is no requirement on you to release your changes provided you don't
actually distribute the code to third parties.

What do you mean by 'source control' available in Python? Subversion isn't
written in Python but you can certainly write Python code which interacts
with it either client or server-side. The Subversion license is Apache
style so that would suite you although again I doubt whether it matters.