How to Start

Brandon Barry brandon.w.barry at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:40:33 EDT 2007

On Sep 13, 5:59 pm, mrc2... at cox.net (Michael R. Copeland) wrote:
>    I've decided that Python is a language/environment I'd like to learn
> (I've been a professional programmer for 45+ years), but I really don't
> know where and how to start!  I have a number of books - and am buying
> some more - but because of the bewildering number of after-market
> packages, environments, and add-ons, I am really quite perplexed about
> starting.  8<{{
>    Yes, I could fire up the interactive mode and play with some
> statements...but I consider that sort of thing for programming neophytes
> or experimenting with specific issues.  First, I want to develop a
> simple Windows application, and because of the plethora of "stuff" the
> Python world offers, I don't know where to begin.
>    For example, what basic, easy-to-use interface might I start with to
> build a simple text file parsing and analysis program?  That is, I'd
> like to start with a simple Windows shell that prompts for a file name,
> processes it, and then displays some result.
>    I am certainly impressed with the apparent experience and openness of
> the regular players here, but the discussions here (and in
> c.l.p.announce) truly presume knowledge and experience with Python I
> don't yet have.  Yes, for even a very experienced programmer, entering
> the Python world is very daunting - but I want to get started.
>    Please advise.  TIA

Michael,

I suggest starting with Python's core documentation.  Its rather well
written and contains many examples.  If nothing else, a thorough
review of the Library reference may help you evaluate the
"after-market packages, environments, and add-ons" you describe.

    http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html (Tutorial)
    http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html (Library Reference)
    http://docs.python.org/ref/ref.html (Language Reference)

The simple text parsing and analysis program you are considering seems
unlikely to require either "Extending and Embedding" or the Python/C
API, but if you find yourself drawn to either topic I again suggest
starting with the core documentation.

    http://docs.python.org/ext/ext.html (Extending and Embedding)
    http://docs.python.org/api/api.html (Python/C API)

You may also find it useful to examine others' programs.  The Python
Package Index and ActiveState's Python Cookbook are both excellent
resources.

    http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi (Package Index)
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/

Every new Python user should read David Goodger's "Idiomatic Python"
tutorial.

    http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html

I've benefited greatly from HOWTOs available at A.M. Kuchling's
website.

    http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/

Be sure to consider the optparse and cmd modules if you decide to
develop the simple shell you've described.

I hope this helps,
Brandon