So what exactly is a complex number?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Wed Sep 5 13:25:07 EDT 2007

Grzegorz S?odkowicz wrote:
> I believe vectors can only be added if they have the same point of
> application.

That may be true in physical observations, but doesn't make "point
of application" a vector property. If you had it as property, you
could never say that in a force field the force was equal at two
points.

This is also contradicted by the fact that complex numbers are used
to represent vectors. A complex number only has a "direction" (in a
plane) and "length". Not more.

> The result is then applied to the same point.

To which points "apply" velocity vectors, unit vectors, or axial
vectors (like angular velocity)?

Regards,

Björn

--