Would Anonymous Functions Help in Learning Programming/Python?

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Sep 24 06:57:04 EDT 2007

Carsten Haese <carsten at uniqsys.com> wrote:

> It comes from the 'new' module:

> Help on class function in module __builtin__:
>
> Oddly enough, the help misrepresents which module the function is coming
> from.

No, I don't think it is misrepresenting anything. The 'new' module simply
exposes names for some things which don't otherwise  have names, none of
the types accessible through that module are actually defined there.

The class 'function' is a builtin definition, but by default it isn't bound
to any name accessible to the Python interpreter. If you do:

>>> def f(): pass

>>> type(f).__module__
'__builtin__'
>>> help(type(f))
Help on class function in module __builtin__:

then the help makes a bit more sense.